Enjoy Comfortable Teeth And Jaw Health
Dealing with daily discomfort, such as jaw tension, can have a significantly negative impact on your overall wellbeing. Whether you clench or grind your teeth, or find that you suffer from pain that radiates from your jaw joints, discuss your symptoms with Dr. Roberson. We offer treatment options that can prevent the occurrence of permanent damage to your oral health, while improving your daily comfort and function.
What Are TMJ and Bruxism?
In order to understand jaw discomfort, first become familiar with “TMJ.” Everyone has two TMJs – an abbreviation for your temporomandibular joints. These jaw joints connect your jaw to the rest of your cranium on either side of your face. Your TMJs allow you to open and close your mouth, and to shift your jaw from side to side. The following issues associated with TMJ function may result in discomfort:
- TMJ Disorder: This occurs when the TMJs function improperly. Doctors cannot pinpoint a specific underlying cause of TMJ disorder (TMD), but can attribute a variety of stressors that may result in dysfunction.
- Bruxism: This disorder includes the grinding or clenching of your teeth. You may perform this act consciously or without awareness. Oftentimes, a friend or loved one will notice, or you will simply rely on obvious symptoms for a self-diagnosis.
Do I Need TMJ or Bruxism Treatment?
If you suffer from TMJ disorder or bruxism, seeking treatment may prevent further discomfort, as well as permanent damage to your oral structures. Look over the following symptoms of these disorders to determine whether treatment may improve your daily quality of life:
TMJ Disorder Symptoms
- A jaw that clicks, pops, or locks
- Pain or tenderness surrounding your ear
- Daily headaches
- Tense or sore jaw muscles
- Trouble chewing without discomfort
- Daily headaches
- Eroded tooth surfaces
- Chips on tooth surfaces
- People around you hear the grinding sound you make when you clench or grind your teeth
Your Dental Needs
Whether you have just begun to notice discomfort, or if you have suffered for a long while, contact us for an appointment. It is never too late to seek treatment for TMJ disorder or bruxism. Dr. Roberson uses a non-invasive treatment called oral appliance therapy, in which he provides you with a soft mouth guard device. By cushioning your bite, or gently repositioning your jaws for improved comfort, you will enjoy reduced stress and tension on your TMJs and teeth. In addition, if you have any questions about dental insurance or other payment options, please call our office at 816-350-0808.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
At Independence Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. Scott Roberson offers expert dental care for your entire family, including cosmetic, restorative, and preventive services. We proudly provide services to patients from Independence, Lee’s Summit, Blue Springs, Kansas City, Grain Valley, Liberty, and surrounding areas. To schedule an appointment or to learn more about our services, call our dental office in Independence, MO, today at 816-350-0808.